Do Security Cameras Deter Criminals and Break-ins?
Security cameras are one of the best deterrents to prevent crimes, and its a proven fact! Researchers at The University of North Carolina surveyed 422 burglars that were incarcerated, accused of burglary. The results of the survey found 60% of the burglars said they would check a property for a security system before breaking in. They look for signs, stickers, and visible cameras. They also said that they would move along to another home to break into if the home they were going to break into had a security system.
Here are some other shocking facts about break-ins*:
- There are 2.5 Million burglaries per year, 66% of which are home break-ins.
- Homes without a security system have a 300% more chance of getting broken into.
- 65% of burglars know their victims!
- 85% of burglaries are committed by non-professionals.
- 65% of burglaries occur during the day to reduce the chance of someone being home.
- An average break-in lasts between 8 and 10 minutes.
- According to the FBI, the average loss per burglary is $2,416.
- Only 17% of US homes have a security system.
* Source: safeatlast.co